How Do You Actually Become a Front-end Web Developer?
The front-end developer is assigned to handle all of the elements that you can find on a website. This encompasses the theme that was used, the typography, the graphics, and all of the other things.
Now, front-end development is actually a broad discipline, but to help you get off the ground, you need to learn these things:
- HTML (Hypertext Markup Language)
- CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)
- You need to also be acquainted with different version control platforms such as Subversion, Git, and Mercurial.
What Are the Soft Skills That You Need?
A good developer is a well-rounded one. Aside from learning different programming languages that are used for web development, it is also important for you to learn some soft skills as well.
The soft skills that you need are:
- Build Good Character- No matter how knowledgeable you are in the field of front-end web development, if you are not friendly towards your teammates and your clients, all will be for naught.
- Be a Learner- There are many new trends in web development that are introduced frequently. Become a learner and find out new things about your chosen field. Do not be stagnant because you will be left behind by more competitive people.
- Be Humble- Do not be someone who is full of pride. Be humble enough to spot and admit your mistakes so that it will be much easier for you to correct them.
- Stay Motivated- Web development is hardly an easy road to tread on. Stay motivated most of the time and if you need to recharge, back off for a little while but put it in your mind to get back into action once you’re fully cleared.
What Are the Things That Will Help You Stand Out?
However, to truly separate yourself from the pack, you to learn a few languages and frameworks as well. Some of the things that you can learn are:
- Learn JSON- This is a direct replacement of XML in terms of data transmission. Therefore, learning this will help you get the edge over the others.
- Be Familiar with Design Principles- Although not necessarily a part of your job description, spotting good design principles will help you create a better overall website.
- Server-Side Languages- Being a front-end developer is already a challenging endeavor, but learning server-side languages, albeit hard in itself, can truly help you gain the upper hand amongst your competitors. Learn Python or Java and you will be on your way to becoming a well-rounded front-end developer.